Thursday, June 11, 2009

Saturday Soup

Lately, I have been saving the bones from chicken breasts along with the stems of mushrooms and tops of leeks. These can be frozen and come in handy when making a stock. I decided to make use of the abundance of extra parts of things, and what better than a soup. I started by roasting some raw chicken bones that I had already used the meat from and frozen. Then, I added this to water, leek and mushroom scraps, a carrot, garlic, salt, and pepper. After this simmered nicely into a stock, I strained it. To the now empty pot, I added diced onions, celery, and carrots which sweat for about 5 minutes. I then added garlic and flour, sauteed, and then the stock. Next, the diced Yukon Gold and saffron were added and this was simmered uncovered until the potatoes were done. I added the minced chicken from the bones, along with corn and cream and simmered another 10 minutes. I topped with a pinch of fresh grated nutmeg, and it was incredible. Definitely a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

No comments: